In our final part of our series, we focus on this seasons top 5 moments to complete the set on the top moments since Sir Alex Ferguson. Which moments made the cut?
1) First up is the Community Shield in August which pitted Manchester United vs champions Leicester City. Leicester completed their fairytale story the season before and proved to be a difficult team to play against.This was Mourinho’s first season in charge and first (somewhat) competitive game with a trophy on the line.
United and Lingard started the same way they ended the FA cup, his mazy run resulted in a goal but Vardy soon equalised. However, Ibrahimovic wanted to have the last say, scoring in the 83rd minute to start United’s season with a win and a trophy.
2) Towards the end of the same month, United continued their winning run but faced a stubborn Hull side managed by a former United man. Away from home, this fixture proved to be trickier than most expected and the Red Devils looked like they were heading to a draw.
Mourinho’s men had an incredible 29 shots but it wasn’t until substitute Marcus Rashford scored in the 93rd minute that United broke through Hull’s resilient defence. Celebrations got the best of everyone, especially Eric Bailly who was caught on camera rolling and sliding around to join the team in a joyous moment.
3) It’s perhaps a little unusual to have two moments against the same team but such was United’s superiority at Old Trafford in September. The Red Devils found themselves 4-0 up before half time with 4 different scorers, defeating the champions with ease.
The win came after United’s two previous Premier League games against Watford, which ended in a humiliating 3-1 loss, and a loss to Manchester rivals City. A win at home was needed to up the spirits and while many expected one, no one really expected it to end 4-1 to United.
4) A month later and United found themselves facing Fenerbahce at home with the Turkish giants bringing former Manchester United man Robin Van Persie with them. There was a feel good factor around Old Trafford but there were still a few nerves ahead of showdown.
Instead United were 3 goals up ahead of half time with a brace from Pogba. Lingard added another after the break to make it even more comfortable. It was so much so that when Robin Van Persie scored, he received a standing ovation from the home fans in respect to his service for the Red Devils.
5) In late November Manchester United played against a West Ham side who were determined to hold them to a draw. Frustration dripped down from the stands to the players themselves and United were disappointed to drop points once again.
However, even though it’s not a major competition, Mourinho and his men had a chance to right some wrongs when they faced West Ham immediately after in the EFL cup. And boy did they do so. A 4-1 drubbing was the kind of performance many expected to see in the first game but revenge here was still pretty sweet.
Do you agree with our top 5 moments? Is there something missing? Let us know in the comments section below!